The Villages is in three counties, Lake, Marion and Sumter. Each county has its own Millage Rate. Lake is typically the highest, then Marion and Sumter with the lowest. Property taxes are based ONLY on the SELLING PRICE of the home regardless of location. If you look up potential property taxes on the appraiser’s website for the current owners when the home was purchased, note that this is not what you will pay. Current law allows up to a 3% increase in taxes per year for residents, and 5% for Snowbirds (part time non-residents). Also, there are other property tax exemptions available:
- Homestead Exemptions are available on primary residences in Florida. These exemptions can be available up to $50,000.
- Widow(er) Exemptions of $500 are available to widows and widowers who have not remarried.
- Blind Person Exemptions of $500 are available to Floridians who are legally blind.
- Total and Permanent Disability Exemptions are available for homeowners who have a total and permanent disability. Quadriplegics who use their property as a homestead are exempt from all property taxes.
- Veterans Exemptions exist in a number of different forms.
- A veteran documented as disabled by 10% or more in war or service-connected events can earn an additional exemption of $5,000 on any owned property.
- An honorably discharged veteran who is totally and permanently disabled or requires a wheelchair for mobility due to their service can be exempt from all property taxes. In some circumstances, this benefit can be transferred to a surviving spouse.
- An honorably discharged and disabled veteran who is 65 or older who was a Florida resident when they entered military service may be eligible for an additional exemption. The disability must be permanent and must have been acquired as a result of the military service. The property tax will be discounted based on the percent of the disability.
- Members of the military deployed during the last calendar year can receive exemptions based on the percent of time during the year they were deployed.